9 Everyday Items That Can Cause Serious Health Issues

Each day you go about your business blissfully unaware that certain things in your home could be posing serious health risks to you and your family. From air freshener to handwash, here are nine everyday items that could be harmful to your health, according to The Active Times.

1.Bath mats. People don’t clean their bath mats as much as they should, which in turn creates conditions for mold and bacteria to thrive. This can cause allergies as well as infections and respiratory problems.

2.Cotton swabs. You do not need cotton swabs to clean your ears and using them improperly can result in serious ear injuries.

3.Cutting board. Cutting up meat and vegetables leaves minuscule grooves on your cutting board in which foodborne bacteria gather and thrive. A simple wipe down is not going to effectively clean your cutting board. You need to make sure it is thoroughly cleaned.

4.Antibacterial soap. You think you are simply cleansing your hands from bacteria and viruses that could make you sick, but regularly washing your hands with antibacterial soap can reportedly contribute toward the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. This makes it tough for your doctor to treat infections and other illnesses.

5.Air freshener. Each time you spritz a bit of air freshener or light a scented candle, you could be releasing toxins into the air. Certain scented products can release volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which could lead to respiratory issues.

6.Fireplace. Nothing beats warming up by a roaring fire on a cold winter day and although it may be nourishing for your soul, it is not so great for your health. A fireplace can put you at risk for exposure to carbon monoxide. You can minimize this by ensuring your chimney is not blocked and that the fire is not left burning overnight.

7.Nail polish remover. The fumes from nail polish remover can irritate your nose, throat, and eyes and can even lead to asthma and other respiratory issues. It is best to use these products in well-ventilated rooms.

8.Oven cleaner. Be cautious when using oven cleaners, as many of them contain toxic chemicals that can damage your skin, eyes, and even your respiratory tract.

9.Sponges. If not cleaned properly, your kitchen sponge could spread germs that could make you sick and cause food poisoning. There is a reason why they are considered to be one of the dirtiest items you can touch.

-Newsmax

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *