Fire guts Galaxy TV, petrol tanker in Lagos

No fewer than seven people cheated death on Tuesday in the Lekki tollgate area of Lagos State after a white Iveco truck suspected to be loaded with fuel burst into flames.

This is just as the Galaxy Television station on Fatai Atere Way, Mushin, was affected by another fire.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the tanker fire, which happened around 2pm, was caused by an electrical fault in the tanker’s engine.

It was gathered that as the driver and other mechanics attempted to fix the fault, there was a spark, which led to an explosion.

Firefighters from the Lagos State Fire Service, Lekki Phase 1, were said to have put out the flames.

An official of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority told our correspondent that nobody was injured or killed in the inferno, adding that the fire was quickly contained by the firefighters.

He said, “The tanker was coming from Ajah and heading towards Lekki when it developed a fault on the road. As the driver and the mechanic were trying to fix it, there was a spark in the engine and they quickly fled the place.

“The fire consumed the whole of the engine and head of the tanker, but did not get to the tank due to the intervention of the firemen.”

The Unit Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps, Lekki, Matthew Olonisaye, said the vehicle was marked, AKD 730 XM.

Olonisaye, a Deputy Corps Commander, explained that seven people were involved in the incident, adding that nobody was injured.

“They were lucky to have escaped unhurt. Articulated vehicle owners are advised to ensure proper maintenance of their vehicles. Drivers should not speed beyond 45km per hour while driving within the metropolis,” he added.

The Director of the state Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, who also confirmed the incident, explained that the fire outbreak was among several others attended to by the agency.

He said, “We equally received a fire call to the Galaxy Television station on Atere Street, Mushin. The fire gutted the armour cable that connected the studio with the mast, but we were able to put it off.

“There was also an overnight fire incident which destroyed a shop in the same community. We had 16 fire calls just yesterday alone, and we have received several today as well.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *